Saturday, May 17, 2008

Chatting

Today Lydia got a chance to chat on the phone with a friend of hers from her orphanage who recently came home with her new family to another state. It was so hard explaining to Lydia that her friend was not coming to our house or coming to do the activities with us today. She kept asking, "Coming here? Coming swimming?" and I'd say, "No, just on the phone." But, that didn't dampen her excitement once she got on the phone. She got VERY animated and loud and walked through the house on the phone for quite awhile talking in Amharic. It was fun to see her personality change so much with the ability to talk at warp speed with a friend.

Of course, I understood almost none of the conversation but I did get a chuckle out of one exchange that was partly in English. She must have been lamenting to her friend about how she and Lalie fight and then one of them says, "Don't look at me!" and eventually Lydia will usually put a folder or something in front of her face to purposely bother Lalie. So, when Lydia is sitting on the side of the bathtub telling this on the phone I hear, "Don't look a' me! DON'T. LOOK. ME!" over and over. At first from the other room I thought Lalie and Lydia were at it again but then I realized she was just letting her friend know about the injustices that go on here. :-)

2 comments:

Laci said...

How cute. I can't wait to get our kids together so they can ramble on and on in Amharic together!

veggiemom said...

Oh how happy she must have been to be able to vent with ease. :0)
Kerri and Ruby