- The birthdate I chose for Lydia was 12-30-99 which would make her 8 years old right now and five days younger than Lalie. This puts her age-wise in 2nd grade this school year.
- When I was in Ethiopia I received a baptism certificate from her aunt which had her birthdate listed. It was on the Ethiopian calendar but when I converted it, it was 9-30-99, also making her 8 years old and putting her in 2nd grade.
Now that I've gotten to know her a bit and watch her interact with others, I'm thinking she might do better staying in 2nd grade next year. She is not nearly as mature as her peers and is struggling socially. Many of her behaviors seem much younger than a girl getting ready to go to third grade. I think her emotional level right now is lower than the end of 2nd grade - understandably so. The extra year could help her academically as well since it doesn't sound like she had a lot of schooling in Ethiopia and was in the first grade there when we arrived.
My plan was to change her birthdate back to her actual birthdate of 9-30-99 when I do the readoption (required) in another five months. That is when she will get an American birth certificate. But, if I keep her in 2nd grade next year, should I change her birthdate to her actual birthdate or to 9-30-00 to make her the right age for that grade level? Or, should I still change it to 9-30-99 but keep her in 2nd grade? Or....?
I would appreciate any advice on these decisions. I've posted two polls to the right that I'd love your feedback on. You can also add any comments to this post. Thanks!
4 comments:
Hi !!!! I have been following your journey to Ethiopia, I have really enjoyed reading your blog... I can't remember if I have left a comment yet...
I have a 7 year old daughter, in second grade, from Yangzhou, China. I also have a 5 year old daughter from Feixi, Anhui, China.
My opinion is as long as you have the baptism certificate, the decision is done already for you... leave the birthdate the same as that, then they will match.. I bet Lalie will get a kick out of being the "older" sister..
Let her repeat second grade, I heard third grade is a lot toughter, that way there won't be so much pressure on her, let her learn the language a little more.
Just my two cents... :-)
Karen
I would change her birthday to the day on the baptism certificate. I would also leave her in 2nd grade next year. With all the changes, it would probably be better for her socially and educationally. I wonder if, after she's been here for a while and gets more settled in and comfortable, she'll start to mature more.
Good luck in your decisions. I'll be interested to see what you ultimately decide since I'm already thinking about this stuff while I wait for a referral.
Kerri and Ruby
Lalie would LOVE to be the older sister but that's not the case. When I move Lydia's birthday to her actual birthdate (the one that is on her baptism certificate - not the one I picked that is currently her birthdate) it will make her three months older than Lalie. That's really bugging Lalie but I can't take Lydia's birthdate from her. When they're older Lalie will be glad to be the younger sister. Cool that you also have a Yangster! When did you get her? I traveled to get Lalie in Oct. 2000.
Darn, did i miss something-or was that the quickest poll ever??? ;) Glad you kept the day. I got their bapt.cert. in time for court 6 mos later....however, Sami is SO small....I changed his b-day back, but changed his age. :) He s/b 11, but is still the size of an 7/8 year old (which includes the 5" he has grown the last year!) So,he just turned 10. I tell him, in ET you may be in grade 5 and 11, but not in America. (when he decided to be snotty and pull that out of his sleave!)
Post a Comment