Sunday, November 23, 2008

Hair Cut

Soon after we got home from Ethiopia I took Lydia to the Great Clips place near us for a trim. Occasionally after that she would ask about getting bangs but then seconds later would retract and that would be it. She's told me numerous times that she wants her hair, "long, long, long," and, "never ever" wants it cut. So, it was about seven months after her first trim that the three of us went in and all got trims. I had to talk Lydia into getting just a little trim for the ends but she final acquiesced. That was about a month ago.

This past Wednesday as I was driving the kids home from daycare, I got out to get our mail (the kiosk is pretty far from our house). When I got back in the car I heard Lalie prodding Lydia, "Tell her. You need to tell her." I was thinking, "Oh my word, what all happened in the 30 seconds I was out of the car!?" Once, several months ago, Lydia was mad at me for some reason just as I was running into Walgreens and leaving the girls in the car. When I sat back down in the car my seat was wet. I asked why that was and Lydia told me she had "accidentally" spilled water on my seat. Lalie said, "Lydia..." (to encourage her to tell the truth). She finally admitted that she had poured some of her water on my seat because she was mad at me.

Anyway, I digress. So, I was still wondering what could have possibly happened. Lalie kept prodding as we got to our condo and finally Lydia said, "I cut my hair." I'm wondering when because I didn't notice anything at daycare. Well, I'm still not sure exactly when it happened but when we got inside into the light she certainly had a bald spot up front where she'd taken a chunk out. She said, "Mom, feel it!" She enjoyed the feel of the stubble. I couldn't get too worked up about it because it doesn't matter to me what she looks like. She's the one who tells me, "I need to look cute," when she is taking too long to get ready in the morning. I told her that it was going to be hard for her to "look cute" with a bald spot in the front. Incident over...or so I thought.

On Friday morning she suddenly had bangs. Wow. Again, I'm not exactly sure where or when she cut it but there it was. She also had shorter sides. Now I really don't know when she did that because one day several weeks ago she came in to my room shouting that the hair cut lady was so bad and showing me those shorter sides (although on Friday they were suddenly even shorter). She was incensed. I said I didn't recall the sides being shorter when she got a haircut. She went on and on about how she was never going to get her hair cut again. Hmmm. Oh well, incident over...or so I thought.

Saturday night I had a friend and her daughter over. As we chatted in the living room the three girls played in their room. Just as my friend was getting ready to go the girls came out and Lydia told me she cut her hair. I'll say. Her bangs were maybe 1-inch long, tops, and she had cut all around the rest of her hair as well. OK. So, you're probably wondering why I didn't collect up all the scissors days ago. In my defense I kept thinking she wouldn't do that to herself again because appearance is important to her and I knew how much she wanted long hair. However, I finally got a clue and gathered up all the scissors in the house. I made her promise not to cut her hair anymore but I don't know how well that will work. Still, it was hard to get very worked up over it because it's her hair and she looks cute in any kind of hair.

Today we went back to Great Clips where they were a little surprised to see us back so soon. One of the women there said, "Wasn't your hair in a bob last time I saw you?" Yes, yes it was. They had to take quite a bit off to even it up and give it some style. In the end I'm kind of glad she did it. It was good to cut off all the dry stuff and we got to try a new style. She looks really cute in my opinion and I think it might help us get ready sooner in the morning. I know, I know. That's a pipe dream but still, I'll keep hoping. Here is our photo shoot from tonight.

3 comments:

Karleen said...

She looks like a movie star, from People Magazine. :) Her hair is so great!! Happy Thanksgiving!!

Unknown said...

I have always liked short hair. Colby did this once in Kindergarten. She really cut a bald spot or two. I will have to try and find the pictures we took. I think everybody has to try this sometime. This is nothing wait till they what the highlights, fun pink and purple streaks, hair coloring, updos for dances......It is really nice to have a hairdresser at home.

veggiemom said...

I think it looks really cute!!! Here's hoping for speedier mornings with the new do.