Friday, January 25, 2008

Choosing a Birthdate

I got confirmation from my agency today about my court date (Feb. 15) and they also asked me an interesting question. They wanted to know what birthdate I want for L. It's a really odd thing to be asked to pick a birthdate for your child. Lalie's birthday is Dec. 25th - not something I would have picked - but I figure it is what it is and that's when she was born. Luckily she's never been bothered by having to share her day with Christmas. But, to have the chance to steer a birthday clear of holidays and other family members' birthdays, etc. is a weird sort of power to have - not necessarily one I want. They estimate her age to be 8 years old but other than that, there is no birthdate. This isn't uncommon since, as far as I know, birthdays in Ethiopia aren't necessarily tracked or celebrated like we do here. I ended up asking for L. to be the younger sister (by five days) with a birthdate of December 30th. We'll just have to see if that goes through.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So when do I smoke a cigar...On the 14th or the 15th of February....or do I have to wait until March....or do I have to wait until December 30?

Unknown said...

I still think you should have picked a February birthday. Everyone knows that it is the best month of the year to have a birthday!