Monday, December 8, 2008

The Comcast Guy

Saturday morning I had the Comcast guy (it could have been a "gal" but it wasn't) coming to change my home phone over to their package plan. I slept in too long (you know me and mornings...) and he called from the gate for the gate code while I was still in my pajamas and barely up. I had no time to do much of anything so put on my robe, let him in and showed him where everything was. He turned around and said, "Don't I know you?" I said, "Oh god, please don't say you know me! I'm not dressed, the house is a mess, and I have no makeup on!" He said, "Didn't you teach at S.G. Elementary? You were my third grade teacher!" Oh lordie. Turns out he was a student from my first year teaching (nineteen years ago!). As he talked I could see that little third grader behind his facial hair and baseball cap. He's 26 years old now (ouch) and my own kids are in third grade - kind of funny. He was one of my favorite kids of all time so I was pleased to see him even in my less-than-stellar state.

No comments: